BREAKING Three Killed in Shooting at Islamic Center of San Diego; Police Investigate as Possible Hate Crime
Wednesday, May 20, 2026 ☀️ 72° San Diego, CA
Arts & Culture

City Arts Funding Faces 85% Cut as Mayor’s Budget Slashes Grants From $13.8M to $2M

San Diego’s arts community is reeling after Mayor Todd Gloria’s proposed city budget included an 85% reduction in arts and culture grants — dropping funding from $13.8 million to approximately $2 million.

The cuts would affect dozens of organizations across the city, from large institutions like the San Diego Museum of Art and La Jolla Playhouse to smaller neighborhood arts groups that rely on city funding to operate community workshops, free performances, and gallery programs.

What Gets Cut

Under the proposal, the city’s Penny for the Arts program — which dedicates a small fraction of hotel tax revenue to arts organizations — would see its allocations dramatically reduced. Organizations that received five- and six-figure grants last year could see funding drop to token levels.

“This is not a trim,” said Dana Springs, executive director of the San Diego Regional Arts & Culture Coalition. “This is an elimination of the city’s commitment to arts and culture. For many smaller organizations, this means closing their doors.”

Balboa Park Feeling the Squeeze

The proposed cuts come at an especially difficult time for Balboa Park institutions, which are already grappling with a 34% decline in museum attendance since the city installed paid parking meters in 2024. The San Diego Museum of Man, San Diego History Center, and several smaller museums have reported combined revenue losses exceeding $10 million.

“People used to visit two or three museums in a day,” said one Balboa Park museum director who asked not to be named while budget negotiations are ongoing. “Now they visit one and leave before the meter runs out.”

Community Pushback

Arts organizations are organizing a coalition response. A public rally is planned at City Hall, and advocates are urging residents to submit public comments during the budget hearing process, which runs through June.

City Council members have signaled they may seek to restore some funding. Councilmember Marni von Wilpert called the cuts “short-sighted” and said arts funding generates significant economic return through tourism and neighborhood vitality.

Source: City of San Diego proposed budget documents, public statements by arts organizations, Balboa Park attendance data from museum association reports.

📰

Submit a Story

Got a tip or a story idea? We want to hear from you.

Submit
📅

Add an Event

Promote your event to the San Diego community for free.

Add Event
🍴

List Your Business

Get featured in our restaurant, bar, and business guides.

Get Listed
📷

Share a Photo

Send us your best San Diego moments for our community gallery.

Share